Czech Republic & Prague Photo Tour Details
• April 9 to 17, 2022 (8 nights)
• Group size: min 5, max 11
• Cost: $3,995 | single supplement $700
• Tour starts and ends in Prague
Join us on this 8-day Czech Republic & Prague Photo Tour. Included are 3 nights in intriguing Prague, 3 nights in Moravia’s rolling hills, 2 nights in magical Česky Kumlov and more.
Prague, a fascinating gem of a city, fairytale Česky Krumlov and the rolling wheat fields of southern Moravia are all fantastic photo tour destinations.
The timing of our Czech Republic & Prague Photo Tour is scheduled to coincide with the intense spring green of the rolling wheat fields of Southern Moravia at the end of April. This countryside resembles the popular rolling wheat fields of the Palouse in America’s Washington State, except it’s a bit steeper which allows us to capture excellent graphic compositions with our cameras. Combine this with four days in Prague, one of Europe’s most magical cities and two days based out of Bohemia’s fairytale medieval town of Česky Kumlov and you have the makings of an exciting Czech Republic & Prague Photo Tour adventure.
Join us for this ten-day Czech Republic & Prague Photo Tour for an experience of a lifetime in a region that you will not want to leave!
- Three nights in Prague, photographing its cobbled lanes, grand village-like castle, bridges and amazing architecture which includes Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Art Nouveau, and Art Deco styles. Splendidly restored Art Nouveau and Art Deco buildings are plentiful throughout the city and perhaps the finest we have seen in Europe.
- This tour is timed to coincide with the spring green of the rolling spring wheat fields of southern Moravia. This is a great area to use a mid-range zoom to capture colorful and graphic images. We spend three nights in a quaint small village right in the heart of this lovely region.
- We will spend 2 nights based in the fairytale small town of Česky Krumlov in southern Bohemia. National Geographic has called Česky Krumlov “One of the World’s Greatest Places.” We couldn’t agree more.
- We will photograph and visit the medieval city of Kutná Hora and Bohemia’s Unesco-protected Telč which features one of the country’s most colorful and well preserved old town squares.
- We will also take time each day to share images and learn post-processing and in-the-field techniques.
- In addition to great photo opportunities on our Netherlands Photo Tour, we will be lecturing (mostly in the field) on photographic topics including:
- Digital Workflow
- Panoramic Photography
- Depth of Field calculation
- Focal Blending
- Blue Hour Photography
- Filters, Neutral Density, and Neutral Density Grads
- Photoshop & Lightroom Tips and Tricks
- Nik software
April 9, 2022
Our Czech Republic & Prague Photo Tour will begin at 3 pm at our hotel which is conveniently located right next to the Charles Bridge. We will take this time to get to know one another, go over the tour agenda, and to do a shakedown of our equipment to make sure that we have the essential camera settings dialed in.
We will have dinner as a group (not mandatory but always fun) at a nearby restaurant and enjoy a leisurely evening to ease into the week ahead.
April 10, 2022
We will spend this day exploring and photographing the magical city of Prague. There will be one early morning and two evening blue hour sessions.
April 11, 2022
Today we head SE to southern Moravia. Departure for the 3-hour drive to Kyjov, our home base for the next three nights is at 9 am. Afternoon photo session in the amazing rolling wheat and canola fields.
April 12 & 13, 2022
We will spend these two days exploring the countryside capturing amazing graphic patterns of rolling fields of green wheat and intensely yellow canola fields. Mid to long telephoto zooms are very useful here. The 70-200 on a full-frame or better yet the 100-300 or 100-400 (Canon) or 80-400 (Nikon) are recommended.
April 14, 2022
10 am departure for Česky Krumlov. On the way, we will stop to have lunch and photograph colorful Telč. The colorful Renaissance houses surrounding the amazing historic town square are wonderful subjects for great images. You will feel as if you were on a set for an opera by Mozart. After arriving in Česky Kumlov we will have time to explore the town before an early dinner followed by a blue hour photo session.
April 15, 2022
We have a whole day in delightful medieval Česky Krumlov to explore and photograph its narrow lanes and second-largest castle district in Europe. This is a great setting for morning and evening blue hour images.
April 16, 2022
9 am departure with a stop en route at Kutná Hora, a Unesco World Heritage site featuring a beautiful cathedral with an amazing spiral staircase. Photo sessions and lunch in Kutná Hora before continuing on for the remaining 1.5-hour drive back to Prague. Sunset and blue hour photo sessions before our last dinner together in this charming city.
April 17, 2022
Our tour ends after breakfast. Easy transport is available at the airport.
Dates: April 9 to 17, 2022 (8 nights)
Cost: $3,995 | single supplement $700
A $500 deposit will secure your spot.
What is included on this Czech Republic & Prague Photo Tour?
- 8 nights lodging
- All breakfasts
- Daily van transportation to photo locations
- All entrance fees and tolls
- Jim’s & Magrit’s expertise in guiding and photographic instruction
Level of physical difficulty: 2 out of 5
There is not a lot of uphill walking on this Czech Republic & Prague Photo Tour with exception of one 15-minute uphill walk in southern Moravia. In Prague and Česky Krumlov, we will travel mostly on foot. In Prague, we may walk up to 3 miles a day.
For some of the Czech Republic Photo Tour we will be traveling in a 9 passenger van (once we leave Prague) and you must be physically able to step in and out of the van under your own efforts. The step-up into the van is higher than a typical stair step.
For Terms & Conditions and insurance recommendations, please click here »
The Czech Republic & Prague Photo Tour Personal Items, Weather Conditions, Camera Equipment Special Notes. *
* For the rolling fields of Southern Moravia, you will want a long telephoto zoom. I use a 100-400mm on a full-frame sensor and Magrit uses a 70-200 with a 1.4 converter on a crop sensor Canon. Without one of these lenses, you will most likely be disappointed.
Temperature range for spring: 50º to 70º F.
Average monthly rainfall for this time of year: 2″. We have experienced some torrential afternoon showers and thunderstorms. During the April 2017 Czech Republic Photo Tour, we experienced some unseasonably cold temperatures with some light snow. With this in mind, I suggest a stocking cap, gloves, a warm jacket in addition to the items listed below.
Please pack light, as we will not have room in the van for more than one piece of luggage plus a camera bag for each of us. Magrit & I both travel for 4-5 months with 25-26 inch Travel Pro Max Lite luggage. Most airlines are now charging for more than one piece of checked baggage. Keep in mind that laundry services are usually available. You will appreciate the lighter load when you have to haul your luggage up steep streets or stairs.
Two pairs of shoes: One sturdy pair for in the field that you can get wet and muddy. One pair for evenings.
Small umbrella for rain and shade. I use an umbrella often to block the sun from hitting the front element of my lens. Black is the best.
– Lightweight rain jacket and rain pants. You don’t have to go all out here, but if we have some wet weather and it is not raining too hard we can still go out and get some good photos. * A waterproof & breathable rain parka with hood is mandatory. We like the Outdoor Research Helium Rain Jackets and Pants. Very lightweight and affordable and they make them in men and women’s models
– A lightweight fleece or down layer for underneath the shell. Magrit & I both travel with lightweight down vests and jackets. Uniqlo makes fun and affordable down layers. Also in men and women models. We like the jackets with the hood. We also carry lightweight gloves and stocking caps. For the fall tours, you may want to make sure you have ample layers. Follow the temperatures before your departure.
Hat for sun and rain protection.
For equipment recommendations, please click here »