Tuscany Photo Tour Details
• May 12 — 19, 2018 (7 nights)
• Group size: min 5, max 12
• Cost: $3,895, single supplement $495
• Tour starts and ends in Pisa
Are you looking for one of the best destinations in the world to take a photography travel tour and create your own stunning masterpieces? Join us on our popular flagship Tuscany Photo Tour!
Imagine long warm days, medieval hill towns, cypress-lined lanes, the scent of herbs and wildflowers, rolling green hills, delicious fresh food and wine, and best of all, you are there with your camera capturing stunning, professional images on our Tuscany Photo Tour.
It is hard to describe just how magical it is to be out in the Tuscan landscape with your camera. I often have to pinch myself to believe that I am really there. It is that special. Tuscany is a photography lovers paradise.
You are invited on this immersive trip with award-winning photographer Jim Nilsen and designer Magrit Baurecht Nilsen. On this guided Tuscany photo tour you will explore the sensual landscape and villages of Tuscany and learn how to create stunning photographic masterpieces worthy of publication. In additional to guiding you to the best photogenic locations in Tuscany, this photo tour also includes instructional sessions in workflow and post processing using photo editing software so that you can craft the best images possible.
This photography tour is based out of Pienza, Italy, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the heart of the Val d’Orcia, a region that is universally recognized as one of the most beautiful landscapes on earth. On this photo tour we will spend seven nights in a cozy hotel in the medieval hill town of Pienza, Italy. This will be our home base for daily photographic forays into the surrounding countryside. Many of the iconic Tuscan images you may already be familiar with were captured near Pienza. This convenient proximity offers us the opportunity to spontaneously return to specific photo sites to catch just the “right light.”
Join us for a wonderful Tuscany Photo Tour to one of our favorite regions of Italy.
- On our Tuscany Photo Tour based out of charming Pienza, some of the destinations we will visit include the medieval hill towns of Montepulciano, Montalcino, Monticchiello, San Querico d’ Orcia and Castiglione d’ Orcia.
- On some days, you will have the option to rise early to capture images such as a quintessential Tuscan farmhouse at blue hour and in the early morning light with mist rising in the valley before enjoying your first well-deserved cappuccino.
- In addition to great dinners at cozy restaurants offering fresh Tuscan cuisine (including wild boar), we’ll enjoy a special lunch at the award-winning intimate restaurant La Porta in Monticchiello. Like us, you’ll love sitting on the cozy terrace with a sweeping view over the valley while Daria and her staff serve delicious food.
- Our comfortable photo tour van will also take us to some of the famous sites within a 2-hour distance, including Pitigliano, Civita di Bagnoregio, Volterra, Asciano, Siena, San Antimo, Orvieto and the Chianti region.
- Our lovely hotel in the heart of the charming medieval town of Pienza offers a wonderful buffet breakfast. Marco and his wife Paola as well as Syliva, the receptionist who speaks English fluently, will graciously take care of all your needs.
- At night, when all the tourists have gone back to Florence or continued on to Rome, our small photo tour group will have the tranquil car-free lanes all to ourselves. It doesn’t get any more romantic than the tiny “Via del’Amore.” We like to think of ourselves as travelers rather than tourists and our approach to this photo tour reflects our slow travel philosophy. By spending seven nights based in one location, we will be able to experience the daily rhythms of life in a small Tuscan town.
- In addition to great photography opportunities on this photography travel tour to Cinque Terre we will have time for photo sharing and critiques. We will also be lecturing on photographic topics including:
- Digital Workflow
- Panoramic Photography
- Depth of Field calculation
- Focal Blending
- Blue Hour Photography
- Filters, Neutral Density and Neutral Density Grads
- Photoshop & Lightroom Tips and Tricks
- Nik software
Plan on spending this evening in Pisa or nearby if you are not already with us on the Cinque Terre Tour. This will allow you time to get some rest before the tour begins and to also ensure that you arrive on time for the following day’s departure for our Tuscany Photo Tour.
Our Tuscany Photo Tour group meets at the Pisa airport at noon for departure to Pienza which takes approximately 3 hours. We will stop along the way for a snack at an Italian Autogrill at about 2 pm — an interesting and fun experience in itself. You should plan on spending the night of May 7th in Pisa or nearby Lucca. Contact us if you would like hotel suggestions. After checking into our B&B, we will have a group meeting before heading out to explore Pienza and to photograph our first sunset at the nearby “Terrapille” farmhouse. This is one of the most photogenic scenes in Tuscany and was even featured in the movie Gladiator.
May 13 – 18
We have six full days to explore the magical Val d’ Orcia region and beyond with our van.
Our Tuscany Photo Tour group will depart Pienza at 10 am for the journey back to Pisa. You also have the option of not returning to Pisa with the group if you wanted to head in another direction, for example south to Rome. In that case, taxi transport can be arranged to the nearby town of Chuisi where one can catch trains north to Florence or south towards Rome.
We stop in route for lunch and photography in the medieval walled village of Monteriggioni. We arrive back at the Pisa airport no later than 6 pm.
For those continuing on with us to Venice, we will spend the night in Pisa. Hotel accommodations will be provided by Photography Travel Tours.
Dates: May 12 to May 19, 2018 (7 nights in Pienza)
Cost: $3,895 | single supplement $495
A 5% discount will apply to those coming from the Cinque Terre tour or continuing on to the Venice tour. The 5% also applies to the Cinque Terre and/or Venice tours.
A $500 deposit will secure your spot. Click here to make your deposit »
What is included on the Tuscany Photo Tour?
- 7 nights lodging
- All breakfasts
- Daily van transportation to photo locations
- All entrance fees and tolls as well as ground transportation except for transport to and from the airport.
- Jim’s & Magrit’s expertise in guiding and photographic instruction
Tuscany Photo Tour level of physical difficulty: 2 out of 5
Involves some walking on steep hills and uneven surfaces.
We will be traveling in 9-passenger vans and you must be physically able to step in and out of the van under your own efforts. The step up into the van is higher than a typical home stair-step.
For Terms & Conditions and insurance recommendations, please click here »
Join us before your Tuscany Photo Tour in the picturesque Cinque Terre or after Tuscany in Venice for an opportunity to practice and hone your new photography skills and and to experience 3 distinctly different landscapes and flavors of Italy. Diehards have been known to join us for all 3 tours.
Cinque Terre | Timeless Italy Photo Tour
May 7 to 12 | 2018 (5 nights)
The five villages of the Cinque Terre in Italy cling to the rugged and steep hillsides of the Italian Riviera, offering wonderful opportunites for creating stunning photographs.
The Magic of Venice Photo Tour
May 20 to 24 | 2018 (4 nights)
The term of endearment that best suits this idyllic and magical city is “La Serenissima,” which means “The Most Serene” in Italian. Expect a visual feast!
Personal Items and Weather Conditions | Tuscany Photo Tour
Temperature range for this time of year: 54 to 66º F
Average monthly rainfall for this time of year: 3 ”
Try to pack light, as we will not have room in the van for more than one piece of luggage plus camera bags for each of us. Most airlines are now charging for more than one piece of checked baggage.
Two pairs of shoes: One sturdy pair for in the field that you can get wet and muddy. One pair for evenings.
Light weight rain jacket and rain pants. You don’t have to go all out here, but if we have some wet weather and it is not raining too hard we can still go out and get some good photos. * I really suggest a rain jacket if nothing else. We have worn cut open Hefty bags as skirts and they work great when we did not have rain pants. The rain gear will keep you dry when walking in tall, wet grass. Montbell makes an excellent parka and pants that are extremely lightweight.
Small umbrella for rain and shade. I use an umbrella often to block the sun from hitting the front element of my lens. Black is best. I have recently begun using a handsfree telescopic umbrella which I love. You can watch a video of my review at PhotographyTravelTours.
Sweater or light jacket for possible chill on early morning shoots. A light layer underneath a rain jacket can be surprisingly warm.
Hat for sun and rain protection.
For equipment recommendations, please click here »