Tour Details | Prague & Czech Republic Photo Tour
• April 15 — 24, 2018 (9 nights)
• Group size: min 5, max 12
• Cost: $4,295, single supplement $795
• Tour starts and ends in Prague
Join us on this 9 day Prague & Czech Republic Photo Tour which includes 4 nights in intriguing Prague, 3 nights in Moravia’s rolling hills and 2 nights in magical Cesky Kumlov.
The European gem of a city Prague, fairytale Cesky Kumlov, and the rolling wheat fields of southern Moravia are calling!
The timing of our Prague & the Czech Republic Photo Tour is scheduled to coincide with the intense green of the rolling wheat fields of southern Moravia at the end of April. This countryside is much like the popular rolling wheat fields of the Palouse in America’s Washington State, only a bit steeper which makes for capturing excellent graphic compositions with our cameras. Combine this with four days in one of Europe’s most magical cities, Prague, and three days basing out of southern Moravia’s fairytale Cesky Kumlov and you have the makings of a great photography tour.
Join us for this nine-day Prague & Czech Republic Photo Tour for an experience of a lifetime in a region that you will not want to leave!
- Four nights in Prague, photographing it’s cobbled lanes, grand village like castle, bridges and amazing architecture which includes Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Art Nouveau and Art Deco. The Art Nouveau and Deco splendidly restored specimens are plentiful and perhaps the finest we have seen in Europe.
- This tour is timed to coincide with the green of the rolling spring wheat fields of southern Moravia. This is a great area to use a mid range zoom to capture colorful and graphic images. We spend three nights in a quaint small village right in the heart of this lovely region.
- We will spend 2 nights based out the fairytale small town of Cesky Kumlov in southern Bohemia. National Geographic has called Cesky “One of the World’s Greatest Places”.
- We will photograph and visit the medieval city of Kutna Hora and Bohemia’s Unesco-protected Telc which features one of the countries most colorful and well preserved old town squares.
- We will also take time each day to share images and learn post processing and in-the-field techniques.
- In addition to great photography opportunities we will have time for photo sharing and critiques. We will also be lecturing on photographic topics including:
- Digital Workflow
- Panoramic Photography
- Depth of Field calculation
- Focal Blending
- Blue Hour Photography
- Filters, Neutral Density and Neutral Density Grads
- Photoshop Tips and Tricks
- Nik software
This is a sample itinerary which is subject to change depending on weather and other circumstances beyond our control. Changes in the itinerary are always made to provide the best possible experience for our clients.
We meet as a group at 3pm at our hotel which is very well located near the Charles Bridge. We will take this time to get to know one another, to go over the tour agenda and to do a shake down of our equipment and to make sure that we have the essential camera settings dialed in.
We will have dinner as a group (not mandatory) at a nearby restaurant. Most likely we will not do a photo session this evening as we want to ease into this tour. We find that many of our clients charge too rapidly into the tour and wear themselves out.
April 17 & 18
We will spend these two days exploring and photographing the magical city of Prague. We will plan in time for post-processing and rest during the mid-days. We will do one early morning and two evening blue hour sessions.
Today we head SE to southern Moravia. 9 am departure for the 3 hour drive to our home village of Kyjov for the next three nights in southern Moravia. Afternoon photo session in the amazing rolling wheat and canola fields.
April 20 & 21
We will spend these two days exploring the nearby countryside capturing amazing graphic patterns of the rolling fields of green wheat and shockingly yellow canola fields. Through in a few trees and we will be getting great photos. Mid to long telephoto zooms are very useful here – the 70-200 on a full frame or better yet the 100-300 or 100-400 (Canon) or 80-400 (Nikon).
10 am departure for Cesky Kumlov. In route we will photograph & explore the countryside before arriving in colorful Telc. It’s amazing town square and very colorful old houses are wonderful subjects for great images. We take lunch here before continuing on to Cesky Kumlov. Late afternoon photo session before dinner.
We have a whole day in delightful Cesky Kumlov to explore and photograph. This is a great setting for morning and evening blue hour images.
9 am departure with a stop in route in Kutna Hora, a Unesco World Heritage Site featuring a plethora of grand cathedrals, the Sedlec Ossurary (if you are into bones!) and a very amazing spiral staircase. Photo sessions and lunch in Kutna Hora before continuing on for the remaining 1.5 hour drive back to Prague. Sunset and blue hour photo sessions before our last dinner together in this charming city.
Our tour ends after breakfast. Easy transport is available to the airport.
Dates: April 16 to April 25, 2017 (9 nights)
Cost: $4,295 | single supplement $795
A $500 deposit will secure your spot. Click here to make your deposit »
What is included?
- 9 nights lodging
- All breakfasts
- Daily van transportation to photo locations
- Transfer from Prague airport to our hotel on the first day of the tour.
- All entrance fees and tolls.
- Jim’s & Magrit’s expertise in guiding and photographic instruction
Level of physical difficulty: 2 out of 5
There is not a lot of uphill walking on this tour but in Prague and Cesky Kumlov we will be be mostly on foot. In Prague we may walk up to 5 miles a day. In Moravia most of our photo locations will be out in the countryside and not far from our van.
For Terms & Conditions and insurance recommendations, please click here »
Personal Items and Weather Conditions
Temperature range for this time of year: 50º to 70º F.
Average monthly rainfall for this time of year: 2″. We have experienced some torrential afternoon showers and thunderstorms.
Try to pack light, as we will not have room in the van for more than one piece of luggage plus camera bags for each of us. Most airlines are now charging for more than one piece of checked baggage. I love the Osprey Ozone series of lightweight wheeled luggage. Magrit used the Ozone 28 for 2.5 months on the road and found it perfect. You will appreciate the lighter load when you have to haul your luggage up steep streets or stairs.
Two pairs of shoes: One sturdy pair for in the field that you can get wet and muddy. One pair for evenings.
Small umbrella for rain and shade. I use an umbrella often to block the sun from hitting the front element of my lens. Black is best. I have recently begun using a handsfree telescopic umbrella which I love. You can watch a video of my review at PhotographyTravelTours.
Sweater or light jacket for possible chill on early morning shoots. A light layer underneath a rain jacket can be surprisingly warm.
Light weight rain jacket and rain pants. You don’t have to go all out here, but if we have some wet weather and it is not raining too hard we can still go out and get some good photos. * I really suggest a rain jacket if nothing else. We have worn cut open Hefty bags as skirts and they work great when we did not have rain pants. The rain gear will keep you dry when walking in tall, wet grass. Montbell makes an excellent parka and pants that are extremely lightweight.
Hat for sun and rain protection.
For equipment recommendations, please click here »