Chianti & Val d’ Orcia Tour Details
• Oct 20 to 28, 2021 (8 nights)
• Group size: min 5, max 12
• Cost: $4,595 | single supplem. $695
• Tour starts and ends in Pisa, Italy
Photograph vibrant fall colors on our Tuscany in Autumn Photo Tour: Chianti’s crimson and golden vines and Val d’ Orcia’s winding cypress-lined roads and rolling hills in sublime autumn glory.
We have combined two of Tuscany’s most photogenic sub-regions, Chianti & the Val d’Orcia to create a stellar Tuscany in Autumn Photo Tour.
Chianti’s steep vine-covered hillsides in blazing fall colors are perfect for images taken with a long lens. The glorious color display is accented with other pleasing compositional elements – cypress trees, small stone building, and rustic farmhouses. The first 3 nights of this photo tour will be based out of Radda in Chianti, a charming gem of a Tuscan hill town.
Our second destination, the Val d’ Orcia in the middle of Tuscany is, in our opinion, the most photographic location in all of Italy. Many of the iconic Tuscan photos you may already be familiar with are in close proximity to delightful Pienza, our favorite hill town in Tuscany which will be our home base for 4 of the 7 nights.
You are invited on this immersive trip with award-winning photographer Jim Nilsen and designer Magrit Baurecht Nilsen. On this guided Tuscany in Autumn Photo Tour we will explore and photograph together one of the most beautiful regions in the world. You will return home with stunning photographic masterpieces worthy of publication (or at least your mantel). In addition to guiding you to the most photogenic locations, this photo tour also includes instructional sessions in workflow and post-processing using photo editing software so that you will end up with the best images possible.
Join us for this exciting Tuscany in Autumn Photo Tour to one of our favorite regions in Europe.
A 5% discount will apply to those coming from the Cinque Terre Tour. The 5% applies to the Cinque Terre Tour as well.
- Three nights in the delightful village of Radda in Chianti.
- Four nights in the medieval hill town of Pienza.
- We will experience the unique color palette that the late fall in Tuscany has to offer. Chianti’s blaze of color on the vine-covered slopes and the Val d’ Orcia’s gentle hills covered with earth tones and a green hint of winter wheat.
- In addition to great photo opportunities on this Tuscany in Autumn Photo Tour, we will have time for photo sharing and critiques. We will also be lecturing on photographic topics including:
- Digital Workflow
- Panoramic Photography
- Depth of Field calculation
- Focal Blending
- Blue Hour Photography
- Filters, Neutral Density, and Neutral Density Grads
- Photoshop & Lightroom Tips and Tricks
- Nik software
October 19, 2021 (the day before the tour starts)
Plan on spending this evening in Pisa or nearby if you are not already with us on the Cinque Terre Tour. This will allow you time to get some rest before the tour begins and to also ensure that you arrive on time for the following day’s departure. If you are flying from the USA, you will most likely have to depart for Italy on October 22. Please contact us for hotel suggestions n Pisa.
Please do not fly to Pisa or Florence on the day of our departure!
October 20, 2021
The group meets at the Hotel NH Pisa at 10 am for departure to Radda in Chianti which takes approximately 2 hours. Please have lunch before we depart in Pisa or at the airport. After checking into our hotel in Radda, we will have a group meeting to get to go over the agenda for the tour and to make sure we are all dialed in with our camera settings and functions. We will do our first-afternoon photo session before dinner. A benefit of a late fall photo tour is that the sun sets early and we are therefore able to have dinner at a normal hour.
October 21 & 22, 2021
We will have two full days to explore and photograph Chianti’s colorful vine-covered landscapes. Three full days in 2021.
October 23 – 27, 2021
We make our way south, a two-hour drive, to delightful Pienza in the middle of the Val d’ Orcia. We will have ample time here to explore and photograph its wonderful offerings.
October 28, 2021
10 am departure for the journey back to the Pisa airport. We will have lunch and a possible photo destination in route. Please do not make plans on this day to fly home as we will not be on a deadline to arrive in Pisa.
Dates: Oct 20 -28, 2021 (8 nights)
Cost: Cost: $4,595 | single supplement $695
A 5% discount will apply to those coming from the Cinque Terre PhotoTour. The 5% also applies to the Cinque Terre Photo Tour.
A $500 deposit will secure your spot.
Click here to make your deposit for October 2021 »
What is included?
- 7 nights lodging 2020 / 8 nights lodging 2021
- All breakfasts
- Daily van transportation to photo locations
- All entrance fees and tolls as well as ground transportation except for transport to and from the airport.
- Jim’s & Magrit’s expertise in guiding and photographic instruction
Level of physical difficulty: 2.5 out of 5
Involves some walking on steep hills and uneven surfaces.
For Terms & Conditions and insurance recommendations, please click here »
Join us before your Tuscany in Autumn Photo Tour for the 5 day Cinque Terre Photo Tour.
Take 5% off of the total costs of any tours when you sign up for 2 or more.
Personal Items and Weather Conditions
Temperature range for this time of year: 54 to 66º F
Average monthly rainfall for this time of year: 3 ”
Try to pack light, as we will not have room in the van for more than one piece of luggage plus camera bags for each of us. Most airlines are now charging for more than one piece of checked baggage. You will appreciate the lighter load when you have to haul your luggage up steep streets or stairs.
Two pairs of shoes: One sturdy pair for in the field that you can get wet and muddy. One pair for evenings.
– Lightweight rain jacket and rain pants. You don’t have to go all out here, but if we have some wet weather and it is not raining too hard we can still go out and get some good photos. * A waterproof & breathable rain parka with hood is mandatory.
– A lightweight fleece or down layer for underneath the shell. Magrit & I both travel with lightweight down vests and jackets. Uniqlo makes fun and affordable down layers. Also in men and women models. We like the jackets with the hood. We also carry lightweight gloves and stocking caps. For the fall tours, you may want to make sure you have ample layers. Follow the temperatures before your departure.
Small umbrella for rain and shade. I use an umbrella often to block the sun from hitting the front element of my lens. Black is the best. I have recently begun using a handsfree telescopic umbrella which I love. You can watch a video of my review at PhotographyTravelTours.
Hat for sun and rain protection.
Camera Equipment. Please refer to this link for the basics, Equipment Recommendations, but I wanted to mention that a long telephoto zoom is useful on this tour, especially in Chianti for getting in tight for pleasing graphic compositions. The 70-200 or 100-400 range on a full frame is useful.
For equipment recommendations, please click here »