Cinque Terre Photo Tour Details
• FALL 2020 – Oct 19 to 24 (5 nights)
• May 2 to 7, 2021 (5 nights)
• Group size: min 5, max 8
• Cost: $2,895, one room per participant
• Tour starts and ends in Pisa
If you are looking for one of the best destinations in the world for creating stunning masterpieces, join our popular Cinque Terre Photo Tour!
Join us for an intimate Cinque Terre Photo Tour to the five car-free picturesque Italian fishing villages of the Cinque Terre, perched against steep cliffs and surrounded by terraced vineyards.
Part of the charm of the Cinque Terre region at the Ligurian coast of Italy is its timeless nature. Little has changed in its outward appearance over the past centuries. All 5 villages are car-free and are connected by walking trails, trains and boats.
The Cinque Terre Photo Tour is offered as a stand-alone or pre-Tuscany tour extension.
Join us for a wonderful photography travel tour to one of the most photogenic regions of Italy on our Cinque Terre Photo Tour.
- We will spend 4 days and 5 nights on this photography travel tour, exploring fascinating villages and landscapes via foot, boat and train.
- We have chosen Monterosso, the largest of the five villages, as our home base for this photography travel tour. Monterosso offers larger hotels, the best selection of restaurants and the most convenient access to the other villages.
- We’ll stay at a wonderful hotel with an exquisite breakfast buffet (and Marco, who makes the best cappuccino and the best drinks — “Spritz” anyone?).
- We will focus our photographic excursions on the five villages (Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, and Riomaggiore) but also take a fun boat ride to nearby charming Portovenere and visit elegant and historic Portofino by train.
- In addition to great photo opportunities on our Netherlands Photo Tour, we will be lecturing (mostly in the field) on photographic topics including:
- Digital Workflow
- Panoramic Photography
- Depth of Field calculation
- Focal Blending
- Blue Hour Photography
- Filters, Neutral Density, and Neutral Density Grads
- Photoshop & Lightroom Tips and Tricks
- Nik software
October 18, 2020 / May 1, 2021
Plan on spending this evening in Pisa or nearby, for instance in Lucca. This will allow you to get some rest before the Cinque Terre Photo Tour begins. It will also ensure that you arrive on time for the following day’s departure.
October 19, 2020 / May 2, 2021
The group meets at the Pisa Centrale Train Station at 11 am. We will then make our way via train to our home base of Monterosso, about a 70-minute journey. After settling into our hotel we will have lunch, followed by an orientation back at our hotel. We will then have time to explore the old town of Monterosso with our cameras and get to know the lay of the land. We will have an early dinner, 6:30 pm or 7:00 pm and then head out to photograph the blue hour along the seashore near the train station.
October 20-23, 2020 / May 3-6, 2021
Four full days exploring the five villages with excursions to Portovenere (dependant on good weather for the boat journey) and Portofino. We will be doing a lot of sunset and evening blue hour photography.
With all this low light photography, a good tripod is essential. I have posted a review of the Feisol tripods on our website at www.photographytraveltours.com/equipment-reviews. You can also find some good info about tripods and tripod heads on this page on our website: www.photographytraveltours.com/packing-list.
Mid-day will provide opportunities for photography in the interior of the villages. This is a good time to find open shade for photographing the architectural facades. We will also use the mid-day hours for photo critiques and photography studies.
October 24, 2021 / May 7, 2021
After breakfast the Cinque Terre Photo Tour group heads back to the Pisa via train. 10:30 am departure from the hotel for the 11:07 am train to Pisa.
Dates: Oct. 19-24, 2020 and May 2-7, 2021 (5 nights)
Cost: $2,895 | Each participant has a private room.
A 5% discount will apply to those continuing on to Tuscany with us. The 5% also applies to the Tuscany tour.
A $500 deposit will secure your spot.
What is included in the Cinque Terre Photo Tour?
- 5 nights lodging
- All breakfasts
- All train and boat fees
- Round trip train between Pisa and Cinque Terre
- All entrance fees and tolls
- Jim’s & Magrit’s expertise in guiding and photographic instruction
Level of physical difficulty: 4 out of 5
Involves walking up and down steep hills, uneven steps, rocks, and gravel. Some of the paths and trails are primitive and very uneven. Participants must be able to walk up and down hills while photographing. Some of the vantage points involve 10-15 minutes of uphill walking with camera gear and tripod. Bring a collapsible hiking pole if your footing and balance are unsure.
For Terms & Conditions and insurance recommendations, please click here »
A perfect extension to the Cinque Terre Tour is our photo tour in the heart of Tuscany.
Take 5% off of the total costs of any tours when you sign up for 2 or more.
Oct. 25 to Nov. 1 | 2020 (7 nights)
May 8 to 15 | 2021 (7 nights)
If you are you looking for one of the best destinations in the world to take a photo tour, it doesn’t get any more photogenic than this.
Personal Items and Weather Conditions/Cinque Terre Photo Tour
Temperature range for this time of year: 52 to 66º F
Average monthly rainfall for this time of year: 3.5 ”
Please pack light, as we will not have room in the van for more than one piece of luggage plus a camera bag for each of us. Magrit & I both travel for 4-5 months with 25-26 inch Travel Pro Max Lite luggage. Most airlines are now charging for more than one piece of checked baggage. Keep in mind that laundry services are usually available.
Two pairs of shoes: One sturdy pair for in the field that you can get wet and muddy. One pair for evenings.
Small umbrella for rain and shade. I use an umbrella often to block the sun from hitting the front element of my lens. Black is the best.
– Lightweight rain jacket and rain pants. You don’t have to go all out here, but if we have some wet weather and it is not raining too hard we can still go out and get some good photos. * A waterproof & breathable rain parka with hood is mandatory. We like the Outdoor Research Helium Rain Jackets and Pants. Very lightweight and affordable and they make them in men and women’s models
– A lightweight fleece or down layer for underneath the shell. Magrit & I both travel with lightweight down vests and jackets. Uniqlo makes fun and affordable down layers. Also in men and women models. We like the jackets with the hood. We also carry lightweight gloves and stocking caps. For the fall tours, you may want to make sure you have ample layers. Follow the temperatures before your departure.
Hat for sun and rain protection.
For equipment recommendations, please click here »