Jim Nilsen (www.jimnilsen.com) and his wife, Magrit Baurecht Nilsen (corecreativeteam.com), will be your hosts. Combining his skills and passion for photography and travel, Jim will guide you to some of his favorite photographic locations.
Jim Nilsen has won numerous awards over the years for his compelling travel images. His goal for the tours is to provide you with the photo skills and opportunities to create your own masterpieces.
Jim Nilsen is a Seattle native who spent twenty years commercial fishing in Alaska. He began pursuing his interest in photography during his years in Alaska, obtaining a degree in Photography from Spokane Falls Community College in Spokane, Washington in 1978. Jim’s photos of Alaska and the commercial fishing industry were widely published on magazine covers, book covers, posters, calendars, trade advertisements and a billboard.
Jim now specializes in fine art color photography of foreign locations. He makes his income through sales of his photographs at Arts & Crafts shows around the USA and to gift galleries nation wide.
My photographs are mostly about color. Color is the first ingredient that stops me when I am working. Subject matter, composition, and quality of light are also important and will determine if the scene is photo worthy. I do a lot of walking while I am on a photo trip, often over 10 miles a day.
Intuition is very important. If a scene does not instill a strong emotional impact, I move on.
I prefer small towns and villages. Ordinary objects and events composed in the viewfinder can turn into something extraordinary and beautiful.
I am now photographing with a digital camera, a Canon 5D MarkIII. Before this I photographed with a medium format film camera and scanned the original transparencies using an Imacon Scanner. I import the digital files into Photoshop for Image Optimizing and output to a Canon iPF8300.
AWARDS & HONORS:
- 2012 “Blue Ribbon”, Lake Oswego Festival of the Arts, Lk. Oswego, OR.
- 2008 “First in Photography”, Edmonds juried art show, Edmonds, WA.
- 2007 “First in Photography”, Edmonds juried art show, Edmonds, WA
- 2000 “Best of Photography”, Bayou City Arts Festival, Houston,TX.
- 1997 “Best of Photography”, Main Street Fort Worth Arts Festival, Fort Worth, TX.
- 1996 “Award of Merit”, Utah Arts Festival, Salt Lake City, UT.
- 1995 “Best Two Dimensional Art Award” Art & the Vineyard, Eugene, OR.
- 1993 “Award of Excellence” Pacific NW Arts & Crafts Show, Bellevue,WA
- Principal of Core Creative Team
- Former principal of Magrit Baurecht Design
- Art Director at the Seattle Weekly
- Visual Communications degree | Art Institute of Seattle
- MA Architecture | Technische Universität Wien